Dear 8th graders:
The theme for this year’s 8th grade Farewell Celebration for the BCS Class of 2017 was “Forever a Cobra!” Our vision at BCS is to “inspire students to lead in the global community through a passion for learning, innovating, and inquiry & design.” To help you “forever” live into that (note the play on our theme “forever a cobra”) and continue to hone and practice your skills, inside and outside the classroom; skills of critical thinking and problem solving, inquire and design, and create. In short, our ultimate hope for you, in that “forever a cobra” spirit, is to “continue creating, whether items that are tangible or intangible. To that end, let’s think together about what you “created” in your time at BCS. What exactly did you create?
- You “created” great friendships and relationships with others; many of which won’t be forgotten.
- You “created” projects, works of art and deep learning experiences.
- You “created” a level of madness among your teachers with fidget spinners, bottle flipping and snap chatting.
- Many of you shared what you designed and “created” at our first Make Share Faire earlier this month.
- This Friday, you will have “created” a deep sense of pride in yourself as you finish your 8th grade year.
To be sure, you are moving on from BCS, and, while you will be “forever a cobra”, you will indeed continue to design and create as you move forward into high school…How might you ask? You will…
- “create” more great friends and deeper relationships! Some that may last a lifetime!
- “create” even greater projects, more phenomenal works of art and profoundly deeper learning experiences to strive toward the best version of yourself!
- keep a deep focus on “creating” little successes each day, each week, each year for it is these seemingly little creations of success that lead to extraordinary results!
- “create” the best four years of high school proud of what you’ve experienced and accomplished!
And most importantly thinking about your high school experience and beyond, my sincere hope for each of you is to “create” a successful life…
- “Create” opportunities to be grateful with a positive attitude as part of your everyday life…
- “Create” daily actions showcasing your honesty & integrity, respect & kindness, and responsibility & accountability the lifeskills by which you live and the key ingredients within Our Moral Compass…
- “Create” efforts that result in a powerfully positive difference in your life and in the lives of others…
- “Create” strategies and action plans to make your goals and dreams a reality…
- “Create” the most amazing life you can imagine…
You are “forever a cobra”, though I hope your life will be “forever successful”!
To sum it up, let me leave you with two definitions of success as my ultimate hope for you in “making” a successful life. First from American poet, Ralph Waldo Emerson…
To laugh often and much;
To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children;
To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends;
To appreciate beauty, to find the best in others;
To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition;
To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived.
This is to have succeeded.
And finally, BCS class of 2017, in thinking on the theme of “Forever a Cobra”, here’s to a successful next phase of your life. Let me close with an oft-used quote from the Dalai Lama…
I have found that the greatest degree of inner tranquility comes from the development of love and compassion. The more we care for the happiness of others, the greater is our own sense of well-being. Cultivating a close, warmhearted feeling for others automatically puts the mind at ease. It is the ultimate source of success in life.
Congratulations BCS Class of 2017!
Forever a Cobra!